Tuesday, November 6, 2007

will i let the fear take the wheel and steer?

With every stage slash crisis in my life music has been there as a comfort, a means through which I can (to an extent) handle whatever phase of life (aka crisis) I am going through. Right now my phase (crisis) is that I feel like I am running out of time and it’s funny because before I could even begin to journal my thoughts, I had to make a playlist in which I selected songs that seemed to go along with this panic. I hand selected every song on here because I felt that in one way or another, they all had something to do with time and fear and the unknown but at the same time also having something to do with being ok with being unsure. At least that’s what they mean to me. But that’s the point of my music isn’t it? it doesn’t matter what any of these songs mean to other people, someone could look at my playlist and be think these songs have nothing to do with my “phase”. But I don’t care, they mean something to me and for some reason that comforts me…it comforts me that I can control my music and I can control what it means to me and I can control how it will help me through any phase of life that I am going through. I guess that’s the beauty of music isn’t it? not only are they a reminder of life but also at what a person was going through when they listened to them and how the songs helped them grow or maybe not grow. Another wonderful element of music is that as much as it can help you move on and become a stronger individual but they can also help you brood and be there like the sympathizing stranger you are always looking for but can never find. To me these songs are the comfort I need that I don’t feel I can get from others. While at this point in my life most people would be like “Meghan, you can get through this, life is a journey…it all will make sense in time,” etc etc, some of these songs are songs that I can listen to and cry and they won’t judge, they’ll just be there let me be upset and let me cry, while other songs will tell me to get a grip. And some songs might be on here for now reason at all except that I enjoy them immensely and they make me feel good. I can’t even imagine how crazy I must sound right now, referring songs as friends…but they are aren’t they? These songs and the memories and feelings that goes along with each one will stick with me forever.
The Songs:
• Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups
• In Transit by Albert Hammond Jr.
• Blue in the Face by The Alkaline Trio
• Dinner At Eight In The Suburbs by All-Time Quarterback
• Sad and Lonely by Secret Machines
• Work by Jimmy Eat World
• All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem
• Cigarette by Yellowcard
• My Iron Lung by Radiohead
• All Apologies by Nirvana
• Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin
• A Minor Incident by Badly Drawn Boy
• Everything Changes by Staind
• Drifting Along by Jamiroquai
• Fearless by The Bravery
• The Sound of Settling by Death Cab for Cutie
• Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.
• Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset by Modest Mouse
• Science Fiction by Everclear
• Running Out of Time by Hot Hot Heat
• Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey
• Drive by Incubus
• Sleeping Lessons by The Shins
• Where Is My Mind? Pixies
• This Modern Love by Bloc Party
• Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty
• Portions for Foxes by Rilo Kiley
• Aeroplane by Red Hot Chili Peppers
• The Background by Third Eye Blind
• Under Control by The Strokes
• What’s My Age Again? By Blink 182
• Eleanor by Low Millions
• 24 Hours by The Sounds
• Perfect by The Smashing Pumpkins
• Intervention by Arcade Fire
• Colorblind by Counting Crows
• Your Eyes Open by Keane
• Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol
• How Lucky We Are by Meiko
• C’mere by Interpol
• What I Got (reprise) by Sublime
• You Only Live Once by The Strokes
• All These Things That I’ve Done by The Killers
• King Without A Crown by Matisyahu
• Trying to Find a Balance by Atmosphere
• I’m Ready by Billy Corgan
• Bullet in the Head by Rage Against the Machine
• Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts by Wolf Parade
• No One’s Gonna Love You by Band of Horses
• Black Star by Radiohead
• Rootless Tree by Damien Rice
• Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus
• Stupid Girl by Garbage
• Starlight by Muse
• Sleeping In by The Postal Service
• Time by Pink Floyd
• Landslide by The Smashing Pumpkins
• Under Pressure by Queen
• Where Are You Going by Dave Matthews Band
• Say It Ain’t So by Weezer
• My Life and Times by Zwan
• Cause = Time by Broken Social Scene
• 100 Years by Five for Fighting
• I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For by U2
• Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
• The Con by Tegan and Sara
• Straight Lines by Silverchair
• Heroes by David Bowie
• Somewhere I Belong by Linkin Park
• Yellow by Coldplay
• Roll On by Dntel
• My Doorbell by The White Stripes

No comments: